At Highfield we aim to develop independent learners by providing opportunities to be curious, to explore, problem solve and be creative. Children will learn to be resilient in the face of difficulties; reflective in celebrating their successes and not afraid to make mistakes or take risks to further their skills, knowledge and understanding. Every child is recognised as a unique individual and we celebrate and share these differences within our diverse school and wider community.
At Highfield Schools our curriculum has ten key intentions:
1. To develop knowledge and skills in a progressive, sequential manner that enables children to make links and build upon previous learning.
2. To secure core skills in English, reading and maths at a very early age, so children are then able to access the wider curriculum.
3. To provide a broad and balanced curriculum (exemplified in The National Curriculum), giving children opportunities to excel and enjoy different areas of learning.
4. To ensure children have the opportunity to immerse themselves in a range of texts, developing a ‘love of reading’ and becoming confident and fluent readers for life.
5. To ensure learning is accessible and equitable for all children to enable each child to reach their full potential.
6. To provide engaging lessons that develop a sense of ‘awe and wonder’ through different learning experiences, which encourage children to investigate, research and reason.
7. To provide children with learning experiences beyond the classroom, developing cultural capital and essential skills which will help them succeed into adult life.
8. To provide children with specialist teaching, trips and visitors to raise aspirations and awareness of the wider world.
9. To prepare children for life in modern Britain by teaching them to be responsible, respectful and active citizens who are tolerant of all and who contribute positively to their community and society as a whole.
10. To ensure all children are well prepared for their next stage of education and leave the school having made excellent progress from their individual starting points.